Today, on a very special Standalone Sysadmin...

Date June 18, 2012

It's been over a year since I last used that headline, but I feel like its warranted in this case.

After taking a year off from the full-time system administration gig, I'm happy to announce that I'm ready to jump back in.

I have just accepted an offer to join David Blank-Edelman's band of Merry Men in the College of Computer and Information Systems at Northeastern University in Boston, MA.

My official title will be Networking, Virtualization, and Research Cluster Administrator. There's still a copy of the job description on jobs.github.com if you're curious.

I'm set to start at the beginning of August. Until then, I'll be in Ohio packing up things and tying together loose ends. The Columbus LOPSA Chapter is going to keep on going, and Warner Moore will be doing the organizing from here on out. He's already been really active in the chapter, and I have no doubt that it will keep improvig.

So yeah, I'm back into system administration. While that alone is fun, I can't describe how excited I am to work in this environment. Having known David for years, I know that working with him, Christopher Allison, and everyone else at Northeastern is going to be an amazing experience. It'll be the first time in my life I've ever worked with a team of system administrators. I really enjoyed working with my junior administrator Ryan Salomon, but this will be an altogether new kind of experience, and it's one that I'm really looking forward to.

So yes, the blog title is technically incorrect (again), but I'm still not changing it. Just think of it like I'm representing the standalone sysadmins out there in this new role with *gasp* peers.

I promise that I'll continue to share the new ideas and experiences that I have in this job, and as always, if you have any questions or concerns, drop me a line.

Thanks for reading my blog for all of these years. I hope that I can continue to write stuff that you're interested in reading and sharing.

8 Responses to “Today, on a very special Standalone Sysadmin...”

1. Saint Aardvark the Carpeted said:

Dude, that sounds like twelve kinds of awesome! Congratulations, and let the rest of us know what it's like to work with a team.

2. Lee W said:

Welcome back to the fold, and in my fair city nonetheless! Feel free to give me a shout when you're in town, we can go out and grab a beer sometime. I owe you at least a couple after all the Nagios hassles you've saved me :-)

3. Jodi said:

Congratulations, Matt! Sounds very exciting!

4. Twirrim said:

Congratulations. After a period of time as a stand alone sysadmin (with a jr for this last year) I really find that I miss being part of a team.
    There are pros and cons but the pros outweigh the cons mostly (depending on the team!)

It's hard not to have total intellectual ownership of the environment. When it's just you, or just you and a junior you can keep track of everything. Once you're part of a team it's just impossible to completely grok it all. You'll know a lot about the environment but it's just not quite the same.

On the other hand some of the serious perks include:
    1) being able to just switch-off after work when one of your colleagues is on-call.
    2) Having other (hopefully) skilled sysadmins to bounce ideas off and get alternatives is great, particularly with tricky problems.
    3) Lots to learn! When I meet up with other sysadmins I tend to ask them for a few of their top tips. Usually it's stuff anyone working in the field for more than a few years knows, but often enough you'll get something interesting to ponder :)

5. John M. said:

Congratulations, Matt!

6. Ryan Salomon said:

Congrats on scoring the gig! I think starting off as a standalone guy, then going at it with a team, will prove to be an effing awesome progression.

Thanks for the shoutout too! I look forward to reading all about the awesomeness you get to work on there!

7. Mohammed said:

Congratulations, Hope you will enjoy it; it more fun to have a team from my experience but some people prefer to work alone.

any way you will share yours with us right ;)

8. Jon Henry said:

Congrats! I graduated from Northeastern's CCIS a few years back, and still have old emails from David sitting in my Gmail archives. Glad he's still there. Unless the college moved again, you'll be working in my old dorm ;) It's a great program and you'll love Boston. Good luck.